FIND THE BEST THERAPISTS AND DIETITIANS
Dr. Brooke McGinnis, Ph.D.
Dr. McGinnis' training is in process-based cognitive behavioral therapy and dialectical behavioral therapy. This is the framework she uses to provide treatments for specific disorders. The treatment modality Dr. McGinnis uses is determined based on the specific disorder(s)/ presenting problems the individual is experiencing.
Treatment modalities include:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for eating disorders (CBT-ED)
- Family-Based Treatment for Anorexia Nervosa (FBT-AN)
- Prolonged Exposure (PE)
- Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT)
- Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP)
- Modified Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (i.e., comprehensive DBT therapy is not provided),
- Process Based Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Mindfulness based interventions
Dr. McGinnis works with individuals with eating disorders across the age span, from young adolescents to older adults. The individual’s age and presenting problems will determine which treatment modality will be utilized based on the current research. For individuals with non-eating disordered difficulties, Dr. McGinnis typically works with adults and older adolescents. Dr. McGinnis takes a collaborative approach to providing psychotherapy and incorporates preferences of the individual or family she is working with wherever possible.
About Brooke McGinnis
Dr. Brooke McGinnis has her doctorate in clinical psychology and has obtained extensive training in eating disorders, as well as in the many disorders that often occur in conjunction with disordered eating behaviors. She is additionally trained in providing evidence-based treatment for complex trauma, borderline personality disorder, depression, insomnia, and various anxiety disorders. She believes strongly in using research to inform her clinical work, readily incorporating the scientific evidence into her current knowledge, skills, and conceptualizations. Above all else, Dr. McGinnis' priority is understanding the needs of her clients and helping them increase their quality of life from a holistic perspective.
Dr. McGinnis values truly understanding what her clients are experiencing in the present moment, while also recognizing that diverse backgrounds and unique life experiences impact an individual’s understanding of, and interactions with, the world around them. Dr. McGinnis' approach centers on helping individuals gain awareness and understanding of their internal experiences, as well as identifying and clarifying their values, in order to inform treatment goals and facilitate behavior change. She is passionate about her work and strives to help individuals create a life of meaning and value.
Dr. McGinnis received her Ph.D. from the University of Wyoming and completed her internship at the Medical College of Georgia (MCG) and the Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center located in Augusta Georgia. She has worked at the following sites:
- Military Sexual Trauma Clinic, Charlie Norwood VA
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy Clinic, MCG
- Eating Disorders Program, MCG
- HIV/Infectious Disease Clinic, MCG
- Outpatient Mental Health Clinic, Charlie Norwood VA
- Women’s Primary Care Clinic, Charlie Norwood VA
- Suicide Prevention, Charlie Norwood VA
- Psychology Clinic, University of Wyoming
- Eating, Substance, and Sleep Disorders Team
- Learning and Behavior Assessment/Treatment Team
- Personality Assessment and Mood Disorders Team
- Behavioral Treatment of Depression Team
- High Plains Psychological Services, Laramie, WY
- Private practice focused on conducting assessments for children and adolescents with neurocognitive disorders and learning disorders
- Sheridan VA Medical Center, Sheridan WY
- Psychiatric Inpatient Unit
- Residential Trauma Treatment Program
To make an appointment with Dr. McGinnis, call us today at 571.328.7408, Ext. 0 or contact us via our Contact Form.