FIND THE BEST THERAPISTS AND DIETITIANS
Dr. Joanna Chango-James, Ph.D.
Accepting new patients
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP)
- Habit Reversal Training (HRT)
- Exposure Therapy
- Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT)
- Prolonged Exposure (PE)
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT)
- Mindfulness based treatments
- Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT)
About Joanna Chango-James
Dr. Chango-James believes in the importance of providing empirically supported treatments that fit the individual needs of each patient and integrating evidence-based approaches and scientific research into her psychotherapy practice. She was trained as a clinical scientist and has worked as a clinician on several NIH-funded treatment studies for anxiety and depression. She primarily uses Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and frequently incorporates Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) skills training and mindfulness-based approaches into her treatment with patients.
She values working collaboratively with patients and believes that the right “fit” between therapist and patient is important. Dr. Chango-James helps patients to set goals and track progress throughout treatment to ensure that established goals are being met. She strives to create an open and supportive environment for patients to work toward reducing their distress.
Dr. Chango-James received her Ph.D. from the University of Virginia, and completed her internship at the Baltimore VA Medical Center and postdoctoral fellowship at McLean Hospital-Harvard Medical School. She has worked at the following sites:
- Adolescent Residential DBT Program, McLean Hospital
- Child and Adolescent Mood Disorders Lab, McLean Hospital
- Trauma Recovery Program, Baltimore VA Hospital
- Sub-acute Inpatient Program, Baltimore VA Hospital
- Pain Clinic; Infectious Disease Clinic, Baltimore VA Hospital
- Mary D. Ainsworth Psychological Clinic, University of Virginia
- Pain Management Center, Charlottesville, VA
- Western State Hospital, Staunton, VA
- Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS), University of Virginia
- Virginia Institute for Development in Adulthood Research Lab, University of Virginia
To make an appointment with Dr. Chango-James, call us today at 571.328.7408, Ext. 0 or contact us via our Contact Form.