LICENSED CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGIST
Specialties: Trauma and PTSD, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Depression, Eating Disorders, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Phobias, Panic Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder, Insomnia, Substance Use Disorders
Treatment Modalities: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Prolonged Exposure (PE), Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT), Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP), Exposure Therapy, Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT), Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)
Dr. Schwartz is a Licensed Clinical Psychologist trained to treat a wide range of mental health difficulties including anxiety (OCD, GAD, Specific Phobias, Panic Disorder, Social Anxiety), depression, eating disorders, trauma and PTSD, insomnia, and substance use disorders. He typically works with late adolescents and adults from a variety of backgrounds.
Dr. Schwartz primarily uses Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) though he frequently incorporates Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) skills training and acceptance-based approaches into his treatment.
Dr. Schwartz believes in the importance of providing evidence-based treatments that can be adapted to fit the individual goals and needs of each person. He was trained as a scientist practitioner and has worked as a clinician on several NIH-funded treatment studies for PTSD and eating disorders.
Dr. Schwartz believes therapy works best when patients and therapists work collaboratively to set goals and track progress. He aims to help patients recognize and utilize the strengths and tools the already patient already has, build and strengthen new ones, and encourage practice of those skills to grow and adapt.
Dr. Schwartz received his Psy.D. from Rutgers University. He completed his internship at the Denver VA Medical Center and postdoctoral fellowship at the Baltimore VA Medical Center – Trauma Recovery Program. He has worked at the following sites:
- Fort Belvoir Community Hospital
- Trauma Recovery Program – Baltimore VA Hospital
- PTSD Clinic – Denver VA Hospital
- Substance Abuse Treatment Program – Denver VA Hospital
- Inpatient Psychiatry – Denver VA Hospital
- Traumatic Brain Injury Clinic – Denver VA Hospital
- Center for the Treatment and Study of Anxiety – University of Pennsylvania
- Family Medicine at Monument Square – Rutgers Health
- Eating and Weight Disorders Program – Mt. Sinai Hospital
- Princeton House Behavioral Health – Princeton Health
- Counseling, Alcohol and Other Drug Assistance Program & Psychiatric Services (CAPS), Rutgers University